This live forum was pretty cool and extremely entertaining.
Some great things I learned from this forum:
- Advertising money is going away from print and towards online ads.
- More than 7,000 journalists have lost their jobs in the past year due to blogging popularity.
- The NYTimes print sales are going way down, but their online ad sales are very expensive.
- It is best to pick a niche to blog about. When you are passionate about a topic, it makes you more of an expert in your field and easier to monetize.
- SEO blogging needs to be done timely and carefully because it is so saturated and dangerous.
- Look for opportunities to write similar posts to your most successful posts.
- Contests are a great way to pull rank,
- Multimedia is great for branding but does not improve readership. Many people choose not to watch videos because they are at work (sound) or they are mobile browsing.
- People in the SEM/SMM/SEO industry do not click on ads, blogging more in a niche opens up these ads to a different vertical.
There is more on the Search Engine Round Table.
There is also a really in depth coverage of the forum done by GrayWolf.
There is also a great recap of the whole day , as well as this one by Lisa Barone @ Bruce Clay.